Greengrocers sell fruit and vegetables to customers. Greengrocers often sell other things, too, such as flowers and eggs In some shops, greengrocers weigh the items. They put them in a bag and take payment from the customer.
- Setting up an attractive display of fruit, vegetables and other items
- Putting out labels to show the price and where the item comes from
- Keeping the shop tidy and clean
- Weighing fruit and vegetables and packing them in bags
- Taking payment from customers and giving change
- Ordering fruit and vegetables or buying them at a market
- Putting out more fruit and vegetables during the day
- Packing displays away at the end of the day
Many greengrocers are self-employed in The Black Country so they may have their own shop or a stall in a market. Others work for supermarkets.
Greengrocers might work in various places. Those who have market stalls are outside in all weathers.
Greengrocers generally work about 40 hours a week.
Average Salary and Trends
Pay when starting is about £16,000 to £17,000 per year.
There are no set qualifications for entry into this type of work. You need to be good at talking to people and you also have to deal with money.
Many employers will want you to have some GCSEs, particularly English and maths some will be more flexible.