Locksmiths install, repair and maintain locks for homes and businesses.
As a locksmith, you will:
- Travel to customers and look at their lock to estimate times and costs
- Remove old or broken locks
- Fit new locks to doors and windows
- Cut copies of keys
- Fit combination locks and timing devices to safes
- Sell, service and repair locks and other security devices
- Repair locks on motor vehicles
- Respond to call-outs from people locked out of their premises or after break-ins
- Give advice to customers about home and business security
You could work for a local Black Country locksmith company, or specialise in domestic, commercial or vehicle security. One day you could set up your own business
You could work at a client’s business or at a client’s home.Your working environment may be outdoors in all weathers and you’ll travel often.
42-44 hours per week. You may have to work evenings, weekends and bank holidays, as customer needs demand as a lot of work happens out of hours.
Salary: £20,000 – £30,000 per year.
Predicted trends -10.5% decrease Leading to: 19,961 fewer jobs by 2027.
You could contact local locksmith companies to see if they’re prepared to take you on as a trainee. You’ll find it helps if you have good practical skills, and some experience of carpentry, glazing or electronics. You do not need any specific qualifications to trade as a locksmith.