Plasterers apply plaster to walls and ceilings ready for decorating and finishing. It involves the coating of internal walls and ceilings with different types of plaster in order that they’re ready to be decorated, and the coating of external surfaces with appropriate materials, such as cement or sand.
- estimate the amount of materials needed for a job
- prepare surfaces and level off uneven areas
- mix plaster to the right consistency by hand or with an electric mixer
- apply ‘wet’ finishes to walls and ceilings – solid plastering
- create ornamental features like ceiling roses, cornices and architraves – fibrous plastering
- fix internal plasterboard or wallboard partitions in rooms – dry lining
- coat outside walls with protective coverings like pebble-dash or render
Plasterers in The Black Country work for plastering firms and building companies. plasterers can also be self-employed and work for a number of different building companies or homeowners.
Plasterers usually work indoors and on building sites.
Plasterers usually work between 37 and 40 hours a week.
Starting salaries are usually between the £14,000 and £17,000. Trends -2.2% decline Leading to: 1,040 fewer jobs by 2027.
There are no formal qualifications required by most firms to employ a new plasterer, but on-site experience can be key. You can gain this kind of experience by shadowing a local plasterer, or even by working on another type of job. You can begin working as a plasterer’s labourer or ‘mate’. You may not need formal qualifications but some employers look for on-site construction experience. You could also apply for an apprenticeship. If you have an EHCP you may be able to apply under the Dfe exemption which allows the apprentice to use Entry level 3 English and Maths qualifications. The apprentice would have to be competent enough to successfully achieve all other aspects of the apprenticeship requirements, become occupationally competent and achieve Entry Level 3 in English and Maths before the end of their apprenticeship.
College – you could start off with a CERTIFICATE IN PATHWAYS TO CONSTRUCTION IN ENTRY LEVEL 3 OR LEVEL 1.